Sunday, February 9, 2014

Mango Fruit Leather - Aamshotto

If you walk in to any grocery store in US, you will definitely see many varieties of apples piled up in the fruit section. Green or Greenish kind (Granny Smith, Golden Delicious among others), mix of red and green (such as Gala, Fuji, Honeycrisp, McIntosh etc) and the dark red kind like the red delicious. In total there are 2500 varieties of apples grown in US. But you do not see 2500 kinds of apples in the stores, do you?

I have been going on with apples to lead you to the fact that in the tropical countries, there are over 400 varieties of mangoes grown. Few in US know this as they see only one or two kinds in their supermarket. Growing up in India, I have had at least 10-15 kinds of mangoes-each quite different from the other just like apples.







Last year, when my parents visited me, we went apple picking in a beautiful orchard in Massachusetts. They were thrilled to see so many kinds of apples. It reminded them of their days as a kid when they used to go pick mangoes. Me and my mom brought home 12 lbs of apples. We made apple sauce and apple jam and relished it over the days. When you have a overload of fruits, jams and jellies are good way to preserve them. Another delicious way is to make fruit leather.






Mangoes in US grocery stores do not attract me much. I do not find them ripe enough with a nice mango smell (A ripe mango has a strong smell and can fill the air of your kitchen or a small apartment.).  Hence, when I think of doing something that needs ripe mango, I buy a can of mango pulp from a nearby Indian grocery store. They sell the pulp of alphonso mangoes (the best kind) in a huge can. I usually use a cup to make some mango yogurt  and wonder what to do with the rest. This time I made mango fruit leather. In my mother tongue, it's called Aamshotto. It's difficult to literally translate it. I'll tell you- "Aam" is "Mango".


This just needs one ingredient: Mango pulp (2 cups)

How: 

If you are using fresh mangoes to make pulp, then skin the mangoes, remove the pit, cube the pulp and make puree in your food processor. I would suggest using very ripe mangoes, so that you don't have to add sugar to make it sweet. Note that as the pulp dries to form the leather, it will become sweeter.

Preheat the oven to Warm setting or the lowest temperature it can reach. Mine went as low as 170°F.

Line a baking sheet with oven safe clear wrap. See that excess wrap doesn't hang over the end of the baking  sheet.

Spread the mango pulp (fresh made or from a can) on your baking sheet evenly.

Put it in the oven for 10-12 hours or until you can peel the leather off the wrap. Also, the pulp will be dry on top and not stick to your fingers.

Cut them into strips or rectangles with a pizza cutter or sharp paring knife. Store in an air tight container at room temperature for a few days or in the refrigerator for a few weeks to a month.


Enhanced by Zemanta

25 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so easy! :) Beautifully presented..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rajashree. This is super easy, just takes a lot of time.

      Delete
  3. In this part of the country(Coastal Karnataka) we do it over period of days and dry it under the sunlight.Everyday one thin layer is poured over the previous days layer and when about a dozen layer thick it is sun dried and preserved which has a life of more than an year.It's called "MaambaLa"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Bengali, we call it "aamshotto" and it's done the same way as you say. Drying in the sun for days. It takes a lot of time but makes wonderful layers. Oven way is faster and you will not get layers but the taste is quite same. Regarding its life, I am sure it will last longer than a month, but this is so good, it goes fast :)

      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe how amazing that looks :D (And you cut them in such straight lines!) I have a question though - not sure if I can get this mysterious oven plastic wrap - could I use greaseproof paper (parchment paper) instead? I've had to send as "anonymous" since I don't have a website to link to but my e-mail is celfllo@hotmail.co.uk if you could let me know... Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Absolutely, you can use parchment paper instead of clear wrap.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea! I've always wanted to try to make homemade fruit leather. Looks so gooood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison. It is so easy to make :)

      Delete
  6. Oh when i see these amasing recipes I dream of a dehydrator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dehydrator will be perfect but making do with an oven :)

      Delete
  7. it was an old Amenian snacks
    Armen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I have grown up in India enjoying these as snacks. And I still love it :)

      Delete
  8. Why can I not do it in my dehydrator I wish to make it ASAP but too hot in florida too run oven all day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you can do it in a dehydrator. I won't be able to tell you how since I don't have one and never used one. But if you know how, go ahead and use it. It will definitely be faster.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I've done peach and strawberry in it wanted to try mango

      Delete
    3. Great! Please let me know how it turned out :)

      Delete
  9. Nice sharing. Yesterday my sister try to do this but she can't cut well. Today now my turn i will try this awesome recipe with the help of chaunsa mango Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the leather is not dry enough, cutting it may be a little difficult. If it is dry, the leather can be cut even with a pair of kitchen scissors. All the best!

      Delete
  10. air fryer reviews Air Fryer Reviews come with solution of money and time saving. Air Fryer Reviews is the participant with the Amazon associate program, that is an affiliate advertising program. The primary purpose of the Amazon Associate program is to provide you the platform in which they provide the ads to websites that will help you to earn by advertising and linking an Amazon.com platform to their sites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now you can easily check bulk domain availability by using Bulk Domain Availability Checker powered by the ixrank.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In the world of MMORPGs (massively multiplayer online role-playing games) what does RNG meaning game?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you looking for the solution of [pii_pn_8a68e8c174733080624b] Error code. Our team did their best and found the top best 7 solutions to this problem.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, Thoughts, Suggestions and Requests: