Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Achari Murgh - Chicken with Pickling Spices



I remember many afternoons when I was young that I would just sit by the window, read a book and relish a big piece of pickled mango. It might sound strange to you, having a pickle just like that, but, that is how much I like pickles.



Pickles come in many flavors- spicy, sweet and tangy, spicy and tangy, sweet, hot. Also, almost everything is pickled in India. I remember my trip to north India with my parents, where we went to a store in Haridwar which sold only pickles. And I got to sample so many of them. I remember potato pickle, radish pickle and the strangest of all- young bamboo pickle. I loved it all there.



The love for pickles made me explore tis recipe - Achari (= pickled) Murgh (= chicken)

Pickling spices that can be found in bottles in the grocery store are very different from pickling spices in India. Commonly used in indian pickles are fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and coriander seeds. Roasting a combination of these spices gives a wonderful and unique aroma and flavor. Cooking with this spice mix gives delicious exotic dishes.


You need (for 5-6 servings):

3 lbs chicken [I used thighs and drumsticks, but you can use breasts too]

2 medium yellow onions, diced

2 medium Roma tomatoes, diced

6 fat cloves of garlic, grated

1½ inch of ginger, grated

3 green chilis, slit [Use according to your tolerance of heat]

6 cloves

6 green cardamoms

1 inch of cinnamon stick

1 bay leaf

½ teaspoon turmeric powder

salt to taste

oil for cooking

Dry spice mixture:

1 tablespoon fennel seeds (mouri/saunf)

½ tablespoon mustard seeds

½ tablespoon fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)

½ tablespoon corriander seeds

2 teaspoon cumin seeds

1 teaspoon of nigella seeds (onion seeds/kalonji/kalo jeere)


How:

Marinate the chicken pieces with salt for 15 minutes. [I do this to ensure that the chicken is seasoned well.]

In the meantime dry roast and grind the dry spice mixture to a coarse/fine powder.

Heat a deep pan on medium heat with oil. When the oil is hot, add the bay leaf, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and green chilis. When the oil is fragrant in few seconds, add the onion. When the onion is soft, add the ginger and the garlic. Mix well and fry for a few minutes. Add turmeric and salt.

When the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone, add the chicken pieces. Mix well.

Fry the chicken for about 5-10 minutes or until it is half done, and add the dry ground spice mixture. Mix well to incorporate the spices well with the onions and the chicken.

After another 5 minutes, add the tomatoes. Stir and cook till the tomato is soft and mixed with the gravy.

Add a cup of water. Put the lid on and simmer till the chicken is cooked completely.

Serve hot with rice or bread.






23 comments:

  1. Very delicious and yammi!!!!
    http://www.fazlani.com/ is offering spices & pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Low fat food is very important for every age of people and the chicken recipes have very healthy and low fat nutritionist. When we want to fit and healthy yourself so add new and different styles of chicken recipes.

    chicken recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very delicious--I am always looking for more indian recipes and use them in my cooking classes and buffets. Will let you know how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Please let me know :)

      Delete
  4. I was on the lookout for this recipe without knowing its name and with your recipe I hit the jackpot. I would like to include this recipe in my blog with full credits given to and linked to your site.chicken coop plans I want to get your permission before I prepare it 1 more time for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this information.
    more info Spices and Pickles..http://www.fazlani.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this made me suddenly crave for chicken with rich and very thick sauce, this is surely one of the best pick! I am collecting Indian recipes for my Pinterest board and I hope you don't mind me adding this. I so love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Prasad,

      I loved your pinterest board on Indian recipes. You have some great recipes there. I will be happy to see my recipe on that board. Thanks very much.

      Delete
  7. Insistent of dry even can i make it gravy achari chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh this looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the recipe, seems a bit complicated for my skills since im only good at cooking in papas games, but ill give it a try anway :D thanks for the awesome recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. i tried your recipe it came very yummy in my everyone liked your recipe going to try your another recipe
    Easy chiken achari

    ReplyDelete
  11. Инстраграмм остается самой популярной площадкой для продвижения своего бизнеса. Но, как показывает практика, люди еще чаще подписываются на профили в каких уже достаточное количество подписчиков. В случае если заниматься продвижение своими силами, потратить на это вы можете очень немало времени, поэтому гораздо лучше обратиться к спецам из Krutiminst.ru подробнее https://mymedicalspa.de/ayurveda-in-indien-meine-detox-kur/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this nice post KEEP IT UP.
    Kerala Spices

    ReplyDelete

Comments, Thoughts, Suggestions and Requests: