Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Parmesan, Almonds and Raisins sautéed Brussels sprouts

If you never tried this warm salad, I insist you do! Well, I can't really insist...but please try this..I bet you'll like it...even if you are not a big fan of Brussels sprouts. Don't have these ingredients, no problem, there are easy substitutes available ... just read on...



Oh I bought this huge bag of Brussels sprouts and made some Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts (which were sooo good!) But, I still had many left and had to do something with those. I was looking online for recipes and there are many roasted Brussels sprouts recipes to be found. I like roasted sprouts but then I saw this warm salad recipe on Picky Palate, and I had to try it. Unfortunately neither did I have gorgonzola, nor pear nor any bags of salad additions. However, I had grated parmesan cheese (for whenever I make pasta), almonds (I have with my oats for breakfast) and raisins (also an addition to my morning oats)! So here comes Parmesan, almonds and raisins sautéed Brussel sprouts!


You can substitute almonds with pecans and raisins with any dried fruit. I actually wanted to use dried cranberries (craisins) instead of raisins. You can use candied fruit pieces. The nut will give a crunch, and the dried fruit some sweetness. 



I made this with half of the Brussels sprouts that I had and after tasting it, I loved it so much that I went right back to make more with the rest of the sprouts that I had. I had to! This is so good! Oh you have to try......ok I'll stop now!



Ingredients:

2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil

2 cups of Brussels sprouts quartered

1 tbsp minced garlic

1½ tsp tightly packed softened chopped raisins [Put the raisins in a microwave safe bowl and add enough water to cover them, put a lid on the bowl and microwave for 2 min to get softened raisins.].

1½ tbsp halved almonds

½ tbsp grated parmesan cheese

½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper

salt



Method:

Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat and add the Brussels sprouts. Add salt and black pepper and put the lid on.

After 2-3 mins, remove the lid and stir in the garlic. The Brussels sprouts will be browned by now. Put the lid back on. Cook till the garlic and the sprouts are cooked.

Then add the almonds and the softened chopped raisins. Stir.

Cook for another two minutes.

Serve warm with grated parmesan cheese on top.

I hope you try this and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, Thoughts, Suggestions and Requests: