Saturday, May 3, 2014

Cucumber Lime Mint Agua Fresca

Letter # 4

Dear Blog,

  When I was living in Massachusetts, every morning on my phone I would first check my email. Right after that would be the weather channel. How is it outside? Is it windy and raining or is it sunny, beautiful weather? After coming to San Diego, I would do the same out of habit. Check the weather on my phone. I would see seven bright suns shining for the next seven days with comfortable temperatures every day. Few days later, I stopped looking at the weather forecast. San Diego is always bright and sunny with beautiful weather. It was, until this week. Hot desert winds have started blowing which is making the temperatures rise above the comfortable level. I never thought I'll say 32C as above the comfort level, since I have grown up in India where the temperatures in my hometown reaches 45C. Interesting, how easily our human body gets used to the environment. Adaptation.
   Since I have come to US, I have traveled to India thrice by now. The first morning back home, I have always awaken to sounds that I don't hear here. Crows and sparrows, honking cars, neighbor's radio or TV or music player, stray dog barking, vendors selling fresh caught fish and freshly picked vegetables and my mom saying "Get up, it's 7 o' clock." Surprisingly, the first thought is 'Why is there so much noise? Let me sleep!' It takes only a few days to adapt to that. Next I find myself waking up to a very quiet neighborhood in US and I feel like I am the only living person on this planet. Not a single sound anywhere. Then, I used to live alone, and I always looked outside my window hoping to see another human. Without realizing, within a few days I would get used to the quietness. Interesting thing, 'adaptation'.

    Now, as we adapt to the slowing rising temperatures, we are cooling ourselves down with Agua Fresca. Cucumber juice makes it cool and refreshing. And very easy to make. Enjoy.

Summer lover,
Smita



Cucumber Lime Mint Agua Fresca

2 cucumbers (about 1 lb)(I peeled the cucumbers. You may choose not to.)
Juice from 4 limes
1 cup packed mint leaves (Remove the hardy stems)
½ cup sugar
pinch of salt
1½ cup water



How I did it:

Put everything in a blender and puree till smooth. Pass the puree through a sieve. Press with the back of a spoon or a rubber spatula to extract as much liquid as possible. Makes about 4 cups.

Serve with ice cubes.




6 comments:

  1. Nice! Could really identify with what you have written about adapting and morning sounds in India. The songs of birds chirping in the neem tree outside, the sound of early morning doorbell chime signifying arrival of doodhwala, maid servant etc, sounds of aforementioned maid washing utensils - these were a source of irritation once. However now far far away from my earlier life in Kolkata, I find myself missing them. How contrary is that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss them too. Strange how quickly you get used to your surroundings. Thank you for dropping by and leaving a wonderful comment :)

      Delete
  2. It looks delicious, for a diet concious person this one looks perfect drink. Thanks for sharing the recipe, it isn't that hard, will be giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We must provide best in service & quality i am completely agree with your point of view. Thank you very much for it and carry on it Tik Tok

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you don't remember this, your car may be stolen!

    Consider that your car was taken! When you approach the police, they inquire about a specific "VIN search"

    A VIN decoder: What is it?

    Similar to a passport, the "VIN decoder" allows you to find out the date of the car's birth and the identity of its "parent"( manufacturing plant). Additionally, you can find:

    1.Type of engine

    2.Model of a car

    3.The DMV's limitations

    4.Number of drivers in this vehicle

    You will be able to locate the car, and keeping in mind the code ensures your safety. The code can be viewed in the online database. The VIN is situated on various parts of the car to make it harder for thieves to steal, such as the first person sitting on the floor, the frame (often in trucks and SUVs), the spar, and other areas.

    What happens if the VIN is intentionally harmed?

    There are numerous circumstances that can result in VIN damage, but failing to have one will have unpleasant repercussions because it is illegal to intentionally harm a VIN in order to avoid going to jail or calling the police. You could receive a fine of up to 80,000 rubles and spend two years in prison. You might be held up on the road by a teacher.

    Conclusion.

    The VIN decoder may help to save your car from theft. But where can you check the car reality? This is why we exist– VIN decoders!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, Thoughts, Suggestions and Requests: