Friday, November 29, 2013

Hot and sweet cranberry chutney

I am so excited to start my food blog today. I am always excited about food and spices. For the last few years I have been celebrating Thanksgiving Dinner with my friends and family and this recipe has always been at the top of their favorites. 

Starting from scratch with a bag of fresh cranberries can take a lot of time, so I skip that completely and go ahead with a store bought cranberry sauce. But, I make sure I get the whole berry cranberry sauce instead of the jellied one. You don't need to tell anyone the truth and fool them easily!


Whole berry sauce
I find store bought cranberry sauce to be just flat sweet, so I spice it up. Along with a citrus flavor from orange zest and juice, orange gives it a tangy taste which you will like for sure. A little bit of ginger and chili powder adds more dimension to this sauce. Try it, its yum!!

Hot and sweet cranberry sauce 

Ingredients:

1 14oz Ocean Spray Whole Berry Cranberry sauce can.

Zest and juice of one orange/2 clementines

1 tsp of fresh ginger paste.

1 tsp of red chili powder (modify according to your tolerance of heat).

Method:

Add the entire contents of a 14oz Oceanspray Whole Berry Cranberry sauce can in a sauce pan on medium heat. The sauce will loosen up as it will get heated up.

Add the zest and juice of one whole orange. I have used 2 clementines this time. Use any citrus fruit you have.

Add the fresh ginger paste and the chili powder and simmer the sauce for 5-10min on medium heat until it thickens up. I cannot stress enough on the fresh ginger paste. Try not to use store bought ginger paste, they have vinegar as preservative which might alter the flavor of the sauce.

Take it off heat before it gets too thick. The sauce will thicken more as it cools down.

Pour it in a nice bowl and serve.
  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, Thoughts, Suggestions and Requests: